Saturday, October 4, 2008

Confessions of a Pregnant Woman

1. I have been eating subway sandwiches for breakfast. And not the breakfast sandwiches. I can’t handle these European tea and pastry breakfasts anymore. How is that supposed to get you through till lunch? No wonder there are so many champions in America.

2. I used to think there were so many important things I wanted to do with my married freedom before I had a child. I was very convinced that there were vacations I needed to take and jobs I needed to have. But now that I’m creating another human life, it’s hard to remember what those things were. It is so obvious to me now that nothing is more important or fulfilling than this. Plus let’s face it; my life has been a free-for-all up to this point. I’ve definitely spent my time playing around.

3. Sometimes I am just not myself, and Pregnant Julie comes out to play. (This is not a common occurrence, I swear). Today Simon found me half falling off the couch with remote in hand, tv on, staring at the ceiling, in blank expression. He was obviously concerned, and asked me how he could help. “I don’t know! I don’t know what’s wrong!” was my response and I rolled over. This is how the conversation proceeded from there.

Simon – What do you want to do?
Julie – I don’t know! What do you want to do?! (squirm)
Julie – I need a make over.
Simon – Should we go get you one?
Julie – No. It’s too expensive.
Julie – I need a manicure. Will you give me one?
Simon – Yes.
Julie – No. You don’t know how.
Julie – Let’s choose a baby name.

At the computer I sat on Simon’s lap with my head on his shoulder like a child and fell asleep. Then took a 3 hour nap in the middle of a Saturday as Simon fetched dinner for both of us. Here’s the confession. Nothing could have helped my stupor of morning sickness and hormone overload. I was acting like a 13 year old in the middle of an identity crisis. But at the time Simon acted like everything was normal and was completely patient with me. And even though I didn’t want him to paint my nails, it made me feel a little better that he was willing to. That’s the kind of irrationality I can understand.

6 comments:

R A C H A E L said...

I am sorry, I couldn't help but giggle a little as I read this. You are normal, just pregnant. It brings out the crazy in all of us women. Wait till you are a week away from your due date and suddenly decide that all the baseboards in your house need to be scrubbed and re-painted, and stay up till 5 AM finishing it in one day. (This is my particular brand of crazy pregnant Rachael.) The end result is worth it. ;)

shaner5 said...

Well, Julie, if the irrationality stops with something as simple as childbirth, I have to hand it to you. Steve and I are still fighting the irrationality battle after 34 years. Good men somehow don't seem to mind. In fact, perhaps that is part of the charm for them. In any case, I still say that's why God wants kids to have two parents, one of each sex...it teaches them diversity and tolerance.

terynmendenhall said...

You guys are a great. Perfect for one another!

Adam and Sariah said...

It's so good to hear that everything is going as expected over there in London! I'm also happy that someone else is abusing Subway privileges like I did. When I was pregnant with the twins I had Subway stock piled in my fridge. My sandwiches were up high and the kids were down low and pre-cut so they could feed themselves. No one should have to live on tea and pasteries until lunch time when Subway is around! Hang in there and keep smiling...you are helping a baby grow, what could be better? :)

Steph Strike said...

Ohh these are great confessions. i had Anthony read them so when the time comes, he will be prepared!

Steph Strike said...

PS- You've got to try the Subway oven roasted chicken sandwich with sweet onion sauce and lots of banana peppers. It sounds weird, but Anth and I are addicted. At least once a week.