Monday, October 13, 2008

BOROUGH MARKET

On the south side of London Bridge there is an enormous market held every weekend full of produce, meats, wines, pastries and pastas from all over Europe. It's a great place to go to try new things and also pick pocket, if that's what you're into. It is on my "Must Sees of Lonon" list that I keep updated in my head. Saturday was beautiful, so we spent our morning there. Feast your eyes.


I caught Simon checking these little beauties out. I'm going to make him wear horse blinders in public to help train those wandering eyes.

Who knew brussel sprouts grew like this? I thought they only came frozen in bags.


We are having a love affair with this pesto. It is so amazing and I wish I could mail you all a jar of it right now. It comes from Genova, Italy, which is famous for it's pesto. It makes anything taste better.
Like magic.

Simon always walks slower around the pastry displays.

Don't look at this if you think dead ducks are gross.

You say potato, I say potato. But it looks the same when you write it.

Not sure if I had ever seen a turnip before. Would you have known what those were?


I told you people here were serious about their cheese.

I'm not even grossed out right now that she's touching it with her bare hands.

Here we see Simon eating a Venison burger in one hand whilst purchasing one of his favorite London treats—apple strudel—with his other hand.
Mmmm.... that is special.

This one time some foolish young cherries got together with some raspberries and had a pretty wild night. And now we have Razcherries. What delicious little forbidden fruits they are. When you're in the mood for a good story, I'll tell you where Razapples come from.

When a chicken egg is just too much.
Can you imaging flipping a tiny fried quail egg on the grill? I do. All the time.

Sometimes Simon wishes he lived in a time where brute strength determined the leader. Or when arguments were settled by stone throws. Seeing him palm some of the giant fruits we saw reminded me about this little dream of his.

7 comments:

erin wilson said...

sweet potato or yam....depends on where you are (its probably a yam, but some people don't know the difference!) Am I wrong?

Anonymous said...

I actually don't know what it is. Simon said it was a sweet potato too.

Lisa said...

Julie, you seriously crack me up!

terynmendenhall said...

P'tit was my favorite cheese. Haha I wrote tit.

Adam and Sariah said...

What a great market! I go to a market here all of the time too and I thought about taking pictures of it, but seeing your market depresses me about mine. Maybe when I get over the depression I will do a market post. I would love to come to London sometime. I think your overseas experience is much different than mine. Always good to hear from you though and I am glad that you are feeling well enough to get out some! Take care and tell Simon hi!

Camas said...

I loved this whole blog entry...the photo of the serious man & his cheese; your comments about Simon & the "goings on" at the market. You are so funny; I love it! Miss you!!

Hyeku said...

Get the ostrich burger! mmm! I miss that market!