Friday, October 9, 2009

life lessons from the cornfields

Simon has had many phases to his life.

He can draw upon them for examples relevant to any scenario, and he does.

The story starts with: "here's the thing...."
And then ends with a phrase like: "bottom line is...."

I refer to these discourses as Simon's "Life Lessons from the Cornfields" because that's where it all began for him. A boy working in endless cornfields in an endless summer...turns man working on Wall Street, then London. A world away. He figures he's got one life to live one time, so he's going to make it good. We visited those same corn fields this summer, in Americas heartland.

And they were beautiful.

Reminded me of a slower, simpler life that we could choose to live if we wanted.

Maybe one day, but not yet.





5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Wow, I've never seen corn like that in my life.

shaner5 said...

Yep, a whole other life exists somewhere in Simon. In all of us... I personally was never able to get those fields out of me, and am extremely happy to be close to them again.

R A C H A E L said...

Sounds like my husband. I hear those phrases ALL THE TIME! Usually ends with me telling him, "Honey, I love you but I am not an employee, I am not stupid. I'm your wife, so quit it."

He has a hard time switching work more on and off. Drives me bonkers.

R A C H A E L said...

*work mode

liz hawkins said...

could not agree more with you on that, Julie. I don't know how many times I've heard Simon draw life lessons from working in the cornfields. We miss you guys and are looking forward to seeing you around Christmas! (this is Joel, fyi...)