
Celebrating the 4th of July isn't really the same in England.
I saw one flag, in a cupcake shop window, but that was it.
Thankfully, we were invited to a lovely BBQ with friends, some of whom were English. But there were no hard feelings.
At this BBQ, I asked my British friend how the subject was approached in schools here. He said that it was told accurately, but generally brushed over. That the King was crazy and deserved a wooping. And they didn't see it as America vs. England, like I always did. The colonists were freshly Irish, or British themselves.
My 5th grade history book told a convincing story of the good guys who started America and the bad guys who tried to stop it. I remember my teacher scoffing at how the British uniforms looked like red targets, mocking their stupidity. He took pride as if he had actually been there fighting for freedom. See, the Brits have a lot more history to cover than we did. There was no time for such elaborate stories.

THINGS WE MISS ABOUT AMERICA:
soft water
customer service
baseball & basketball
being understood over the phone
public forthrightness
space
Thanksgiving
real yards, front and back
quality tv and funny commercials
taco bell
monterey jack cheese
syrup
halloween & haunted houses
affording the movie theater
hearty breakfasts
normal sized refrigerators, washers, and dryers
straight roads with car sized lanes
African American soul
taco stands
closets
censored television
bbq's on warm summer nights before jumping in the pool, aaaaaah
In n Out
general optimism and self belief
cheesy snacks
normal sized houses with garages
turkey
white, nice teeth
dinner options & portion sizes
parking lots
target
family
Since moving abroad, I have seen how intensely America is watched and talked about. I was surprised at how often I heard about America, knowing that I rarely spoke about other countries before I moved to one.
I've also learned that the American Dream is a very real thing. You can ask any American what America stands for and they know the answer. They'll tell you something like freedom, equality, or becoming anything you want to become. We have been taught these things since we were kids, and we believe in them. A few months ago, I asked people from a few different countries what their countries stood for. They didn't really know what I was talking about, which is fine. I'm glad to be part of mine.
We love our country. God bless it.
I saw one flag, in a cupcake shop window, but that was it.
Thankfully, we were invited to a lovely BBQ with friends, some of whom were English. But there were no hard feelings.
At this BBQ, I asked my British friend how the subject was approached in schools here. He said that it was told accurately, but generally brushed over. That the King was crazy and deserved a wooping. And they didn't see it as America vs. England, like I always did. The colonists were freshly Irish, or British themselves.
My 5th grade history book told a convincing story of the good guys who started America and the bad guys who tried to stop it. I remember my teacher scoffing at how the British uniforms looked like red targets, mocking their stupidity. He took pride as if he had actually been there fighting for freedom. See, the Brits have a lot more history to cover than we did. There was no time for such elaborate stories.

THINGS WE MISS ABOUT AMERICA:
soft water
customer service
baseball & basketball
being understood over the phone
public forthrightness
space
Thanksgiving
real yards, front and back
quality tv and funny commercials
taco bell
monterey jack cheese
syrup
halloween & haunted houses
affording the movie theater
hearty breakfasts
normal sized refrigerators, washers, and dryers
straight roads with car sized lanes
African American soul
taco stands
closets
censored television
bbq's on warm summer nights before jumping in the pool, aaaaaah
In n Out
general optimism and self belief
cheesy snacks
normal sized houses with garages
turkey
white, nice teeth
dinner options & portion sizes
parking lots
target
family
Since moving abroad, I have seen how intensely America is watched and talked about. I was surprised at how often I heard about America, knowing that I rarely spoke about other countries before I moved to one.
I've also learned that the American Dream is a very real thing. You can ask any American what America stands for and they know the answer. They'll tell you something like freedom, equality, or becoming anything you want to become. We have been taught these things since we were kids, and we believe in them. A few months ago, I asked people from a few different countries what their countries stood for. They didn't really know what I was talking about, which is fine. I'm glad to be part of mine.
We love our country. God bless it.
9 comments:
I LOVE this! well first, the pic is just gorgeous, but what a great experience for you guys to be there during so many different holidays and events! So cool! We miss you guys but I'm so glad you're there and enjoying it.
i think i am turning british, because i've forgotten about many of those things! weird, right? although, target would for sure be at the top of the list of things I miss! and i get you about the cinema... so expensive! and for halloween, come to st john's wood next year. it's really big in this area...and super fun.
love the picture!
You're abolutely right. We're adding Target to the list.
Yeah, we love America too. Our list is a bit different and a bit the same...funny how that works. I love the pictures. Glad you got to celebrate the 4th even in another country. We did the same. :)
I love America too. Thanks for the reminder to not take it for granted.
Well said. I am so glad you posted this. It reminded me of everything that is great about the USA. And the photo. Its so beautiful.
I'm going to target today. I'll buy a totally unnecessary necessity and think of you.
Costco should be added to the list...American sized portions...
luckily we do have a costco out here. It doesn't have all the same stuff, but it's something. It does have a giant isle of tea things too.
It was so refreshing to go there and push a cart around. Down the giant isles.
I love your posts. PS- I thought about you on your birthday. And facebook didn't even have to remind me! Miss yah!
Well, after reading this, I'm thinking that maybe Nebraska is not in America, since we miss many of the same things! Customer service, real yards, closets, taco stands, etc. What we DON'T miss is space...lots of it out here, except in the yards.
Post a Comment