Monday, July 6, 2009

baby boot camp

You know that feeling you get when you finally finish packing your suitcase at 2 am, knowing that you have to get up at 5 am to leave for the airport? You wonder if it's worth it to sleep at all. You puzzle over how you let this happen to you. You would do anything to crawl into a big clean bed to zonk out for a full night's rest. The feeling is desperate.


This is how I feel every night around 10 pm. I hate to complain but I think I've earned the right. I haven't slept longer than 4 hours in a row in over 3 months, and those stretches were rare. "Falling asleep" sounds so peaceful and easy. But I find myself tensing up as I lay down, knowing that I have to be up again very soon. Sleep deprivation is a torture tactic, and now I know why.

At my birthday party yesterday, a friend gave me a bath potion for overtired people, perfect for me. I'm so tired. Tired of daydreaming about sleep. Tired of not thinking clearly. Tired of not being myself. Tired of being tired.

Enough of this.

Mason made the mistake of sleeping for 5 hours in a row a few days ago. Too bad I wasn't also asleep when this happened. Perhaps it was a fluke, but now I know that it is possible, and his body is capable. No more night rockings for this little man. The gig has gotten old and it's time for baby boot camp. This is week 1. Keep posted for the results.

9 comments:

Adam and Sariah said...

Good luck. I am proud of you for doing it. We always did it between 8-10 weeks and it was the BEST thing we have ever done as parents. It makes for a happier baby, a healthier mom, and a sane dad. Good luck...and hang in there. It is tough at the beginning, but it is worth it. You can do it! Keep us updated.

Aubrey said...

Oh, you really need some good sleep. I don't know about you, but I'm a totally different person when I'm sleep deprived. Good luck with baby boot camp! I'm 100% behind you.

Hyeku said...

Aw no! He went back to sleepless nights?! I wish Mason and I could cuddle right now!

Lindsey said...

I didn't even say happy birthday to you! I am SUCH a loser! Can I make it up to you?! What did you guys do. You def deserve sleep for your bday.

R A C H A E L said...

Babywise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. Its a book that saved my life. Both my babes were sleeping through the night (at least 7 hours) at 8 weeks. Seriously. It is wonderful. Babies on a schedule are happy babies. And so mom is a happy (and well rested) mommy. Although the first time you let them cry themselves to sleep is not that fun... Brace yourself

sara said...

i spent the first four months of jack's life sleeping sitting up holding him and nursing every three hours round the clock. i would get excited to sleep for a few hours. finally, at seven months i had it and baby boot camped him. he now sleeps through the night, but i still feel tired and am cranky in the morning. the time goes by fast and you can't get the precious snuggler baby stage back. good luck. you'll sleep when you're older.

scott and linds said...

you poor thing... I can't imagine how you are functioning right now. I'm nervous to have kids for that very reason! But I guess looking at the little man makes it worth it in some way.. you would know better than me ;) Good luck with the sleep! I love that picture of the two of you though- gorgeous!

btw-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

neil and jes said...

Guess who finally got a blog!

(don't be fooled by the profile name, Neil had nothing to do with it).

PS let me know how baby boot camp is going. You are seriously my hero for being so coherent and sane on such little sleep!

shaner5 said...

Yep, I'm interested in the continuing saga of baby boot camp. Moms have to sleep. You will find a way. He can do it...you can, too. Love you.