Sunday, March 14, 2010

bambina bella

The other day I bjorned M and we walked to the cafe around the corner for lunch. In transit, a herd of Italian teenage women gathered round him and began fluttering him with their accented "beautiful girl" and "look at the baby girl." Of course mason loves all this fanfare; he's much used to it from strangers. And I stand there feeling like I'm holding a puppy for everyone to oogle over, (myself being completely ignored by all in these instances.) His fur hat isn't helping. It's basically a honing devise that attracts even the faintest of child sympathizers to his attention. And then he smiles at them, inviting them deeper into his world, and then it's all over and we're stalled until the oooh's are spent.

This poses 2 problems.

Mason may grow up thinking that it's normal to stop with every other woman on the street to say hello and smile close to each others faces.

AND

For the last time he is not a girl! Look at his clothes- he's usually covered in blue or dinosaurs. I thought that maybe it was a British perception, but he was getting the girl compliments in California as well. When he was first born he was clearly a boy- because he was nude, and also because he generally looked like an old man. I'm hoping this phase doesn't last long, because I don't think it would be healthy for a 15 year old to be called "miss" or "love" as the women are called here.

Maybe his curly locks are throwing off his one ounce of manliness.


Last thing about this. He smells sweet. His natural scent is just sweet. I've been asked a few times what I use to bathe him and the answer is always disappointing: water. This is something I would wish him to keep.

One of the mums in his baby play group says her daughter has a crush on him. This would be the first official crush. Unfortunately for him, he's pretty unaware of her baby signals/existence. He gets that from Simon. Simon doesn't "catch my drift" or understand what I'm implying. No, he only understands the literal words I say. Mason doesn't even flinch when he's heading for the top of the stairs and I'm calling after him to come back. I think the only type of signal he's going to receive will be a physical object thrown to bounce off of him. I can work with that.

I need a leash.




4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Mason is so NOT a girl! He doesn't resemble a girl to me at all, no matter how much curly hair he has. He is very good looking, though. Good genes. :)

nikki said...

Julie, he's adorable... for a boy. I think he's definitely manly enough. Some people just don't get it. John is 20 months and I still get people who ask if it's a boy. Really? These people obviously do not have children.

R A C H A E L said...

Don't get me wrong, Mason is a beauitful boy. But he is very boy. All Boy. A very cute boy, but absolutely boy.

shaner5 said...

He has the MOST beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen...except, maybe, for Paul Newman. No, Mason still wins.