Do you know who "Take That" is?
Or how about "Girls Allowed?"
My British and Australian co-workers didn't believe me when I said that I had never heard of them, and proceeded to laugh in my face. I was retouching a poster of Take That as they stood around me. The uber-cheesy man-band was looking pretty haggard these days and my job was to make them look 20 years younger. I say man-band, because these are no boys and they've apparently been making hits out here for ages. Then my coworkers began reciting their favorite songs and best concert memories. Who knew?
Can you name at least 1 Kylie Minogue song? I can't. There was one techno-ish song that hit the states a few years back, but it didn't stand out much. When I first arrived here I went to a museum that had a Kylie Minogue retrospective exhibit. I felt like I had been let out of the barn for the first time in my life. Room after room was filled with costumes, albums, and photographs of the megastar. Apparently she's won tons of awards and performed hit after hit. Again, who knew?
These, and other European artists are wildly popular here. And because they're popular here, many people seem to assume that the whole world knows about them. Not so. Making it big in your own country is one thing, but making the jump to America's music charts is really tough, and so many people try. This is why foreign artists who make it in America are such a big deal. When you're a famous musician in America, then you're world famous.
Oh, and they've never heard of Ryan Seacrest or Martha Stewart,
so we're even.
Obligatory Mason picture:
Or how about "Girls Allowed?"
My British and Australian co-workers didn't believe me when I said that I had never heard of them, and proceeded to laugh in my face. I was retouching a poster of Take That as they stood around me. The uber-cheesy man-band was looking pretty haggard these days and my job was to make them look 20 years younger. I say man-band, because these are no boys and they've apparently been making hits out here for ages. Then my coworkers began reciting their favorite songs and best concert memories. Who knew?
Can you name at least 1 Kylie Minogue song? I can't. There was one techno-ish song that hit the states a few years back, but it didn't stand out much. When I first arrived here I went to a museum that had a Kylie Minogue retrospective exhibit. I felt like I had been let out of the barn for the first time in my life. Room after room was filled with costumes, albums, and photographs of the megastar. Apparently she's won tons of awards and performed hit after hit. Again, who knew?
These, and other European artists are wildly popular here. And because they're popular here, many people seem to assume that the whole world knows about them. Not so. Making it big in your own country is one thing, but making the jump to America's music charts is really tough, and so many people try. This is why foreign artists who make it in America are such a big deal. When you're a famous musician in America, then you're world famous.
Oh, and they've never heard of Ryan Seacrest or Martha Stewart,
so we're even.
Obligatory Mason picture:

10 comments:
'Girls Allowed' looks like a Tim Burton version of the Pussy Cat Dolls.
Ha! That is such an accurate description.
Take That. I loved them when I was 16. I believe "Back for Good" was the only good/played-in-America song they had, but I bought the entire CD because I happened to go to England that summer. They really were huge there!
I had a thing for Robbie Williams, too. "Millennium"-good stuff.
Can't wait to get the babies together.
hahaha- love that picture of mason. never heard the bands though.. i guess i'm just TOO american.
don't you read OK! or Grazia? that's how i keep up on all these british folks.
Hee hee- no. Maybe I'll pick up those magazines next time I'm out getting a mani-pedi. Oh wait, I don't get those anymore because they cost like $70.
I like that Mason only wears PREMIUM eye masks! He's definitely Simon's baby! (From Anthony)
Oh, yeah, I used to teach aerobics to Kylie Minogue! Take that (not to be confused with Take That)! I win the prize!
Yes Sue, you definitely do win the prize for that one!
Post a Comment