Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So a pregnant lady walks into a gym...

You may not have heard this joke before but I promise it is one.

Simon and Dylan were going to the gym and I thought I'd go along and work out like I used to. Oh those days have gone.

I started on the elliptical machine, level 1, also known as no resistance. After a while, I felt like I had worked out to maximum capacity and was pretty much exhausted. I got off and the work out summary said:
1 minute 48 seconds. What?

So I switched to speed walking on the treadmill, and felt I was going a little too fast to breathe, and decided to turn the speed down one point. Then the treadmill stopped. I was already on the lowest setting. The barely moving setting.

I used to think that things like arm lifts and walking were what lazy people called exercise, and that they couldn't really be effective if you're under 60 years old. But now even those are too strenuous for me. The midwives say I should "listen to my body" and do what it wants to do. But whenever I "listen" it just tells me to lay down and then it starts whispering things about those Belgian waffles.

I gave up and went downstairs to watch Simon lift.
That was work out enough.

13 comments:

Hyeku said...

I like that post...so much that I had to read it out loud.

Adam and Sariah said...

Cute belly Julie! Yeah, when you are pregnant just walking is sometimes exercise enough. That baby is taking all of your energy just like he should. Did you know that in the womb boy babies consume more calories than girls? Maybe those belgian waffles would do the trick, although that would be quite a trip just for food. I hope Simon is taking good care of you and that you are listening to your body and taking plenty of naps. You certainly have a great excuse to be tired. Love ya. :)

Lindsey said...

You make me laugh. You're a good writer. Your little prego belly is so cute.

Dylan Bullock said...

Words of wisdom: "If weight tops off, use arms independently."

shaner5 said...

You might now understand why you don't see a lot of pregnant women in lifting gyms...

Lisa said...

I think it's officially time to break out the tube tops.

R A C H A E L said...

What a cute tummy!

Go and get the YogaMama DVD. Its really a pretend workout, but it does make it a little easier to handle the fact that you haven't worked out in 6 months...

You look great anyway...

scott and linds said...

i love you little belly! You guys are so cute!

Karen Rae said...

Julie, your belly is so adorable!!! Can't believe how time has flown and soon enough this little guy will be eating belgian waffles too! xox

Kim said...

That is hilarious. I know the feeling so i can feel your pain. Except i always went straight to the waffles without exercising.

MegTyandLandri said...

HEY I FOUND YOUR BLOG. MINE IS megtyandladri.blogspot.com you look great!

sara said...

you need to take a picture of you and simon back to back like that one from your wedding. but you don't have to wear your wedding dress, just a tight white shirt. it would be so cute! and then one more when the baby is born. the different stages of life.

britt said...

cute tummy julie! congrats on having a boy!! hope you are doing well in merry o' england!