Monday, January 5, 2009

ROME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

This year has been amazing for us, and we feel so lucky to have experienced so much. I couldn't think of a better place to celebrate this year and the next than in Rome. We spent New Years Eve and New Years day there. Luckily we only live a short flight away, so it's not that crazy of a plan.

Simon in the Pantheon. The sunlight was scalding our pasty London skin; it was such a beautiful day.

The Trevi Fountain.

Legend holds that if visitors throw a coin into the fountain, they are ensured a return to Rome. Due to inflation, it is now lucky to throw three coins in.

About 3,000 Euros are thrown into the fountain each day and are collected at night.
Apparently there are regular attempts to steal them. I can't imagine how embarrassed I would be if I were caught doing that.

Ruins.

We wandered into Vatican City the morning of January 1st, with no real plan in mind. Suddenly, the Pope popped out of a window and blessed us. That fountain really is lucky. The rain even stopped.

The 3 of us.

European teenagers love wearing black. We do what we can to fit in. They also love to play scratchy techno on their cell phone speakers in enclosed spaces like the tube.

We went to the party in front of the Colosseum for the countdown. There was a show and a huge crowd. The city didn't seem to sponsor any sort of fireworks display, but there were many charitable Roman citizens in the crowd lighting them off. At the sky, at the trees, at each other. It didn't matter. The Polizia didn't seem too concerned about it either.


8 comments:

scott and linds said...

You guys are having so much fun!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE ROME!! One of my favorite cities.. that is so great you live so close.. miss you guys! You look so cute with that little belly! xx

Lisa said...

You went to my place! I need to go to Italy. I'll make it there someday. =)

shaner5 said...

wow

Aubrey said...

Rome is top of my list of places to visit. Lucky you!

R A C H A E L said...

What a way to spend New Years. You look adorable, Julie.

terynmendenhall said...

I hate you a little right now. But don't take it personally.

Porter Family said...

How much fun! I love that you are in a photo with the Pope. Julie, your little belly is adorable.

Hyeku said...

But really it was the 4 of you...Simander Jr should not be forgotten!