Sunday, December 28, 2008

Belgian Christmas

We just got back from Belgium, and I'm pretty sure we've developed diabetes. The food was that good. By food I mean the waffles and chocolate and crepes. I won't be surprised if my unborn child comes out demanding waffle smoothies and chocolate milk. We had the best waffles we've ever had and Hershey's chocolate will never be good enough again. You would be shocked at how many chocolate shops were there. ...And how many tempted us in...


Belgian history lesson. Legend has it that Brussels was ablaze and this little fella* peed the fire out, saving the town. He became a hero and today foreign diplomats bring traditional clothing for him. They change his outfit every day, and he has more than 600 costumes. He has also been stolen a few times. This image of the weeing boy is seen everywhere, reminding Brusselians of their noble roots. Simon witnessed a man defecating on the sidewalk on his early morning run, so apparently this type of behavior is still considered acceptable.

Here's one costume.

The view from the top of the ferris wheel. We stayed in the middle of the Christmas market. People take it pretty seriously there.


Simon at the door.





We made one last stop at this place before we got on the train to come home.

Final Report: Brussels and Antwerp were fun, but Brugge was our favorite.

*I don't usually use this word, but I just saw Australia and think it's been burned into me. I wonder if we were the only ones who saw the really long version.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Nope, we saw the extra long version of Australia and could have used a wee break part way through it!

PJ said...

Hi Julie and Simon......Bob and I stayed in Brugge at the Jan Brito for 2 days and loved the canals where Renoir painted. When Eric was in Versailles for 9 months, one of his favorite places he traveled to was the city of Brugge. Barcelona was another city he liked to visit. Yes, and according to Bob the waffles and chocolates are like nothing he has ever eaten!

Sarah said...

LOL. Julie, I haven't read your blog in a couple of months, it's given me quite a chuckle! Glad your enjoying the Mother Land, I'm looking after the colonies for you!