Friday, September 19, 2008

winning ticket

People here are seriously into their cheeses. They have all kinds that I have been sheltered from my entire life. And I’ve been misled to believe that things like Cheeze Whiz, Kraft, and Velveeta are cheese. Anyway. This post isn’t about cheese. But if you’re not into cheesy things, I suggest you don’t read it, but go here instead.

For those who are left, let’s continue. The other night as we were falling asleep, Simon said, “I feel like I’ve won the lottery.” Of course I had to ask why; he may have been subtly trying to tell me that we’ve become millionaires. But he said that he was so happy with his life and with our happy little family and all the things we have been so lucky to do and see. And he was excited to see what will happen this year for us. We have due dates for both business school and a baby soon approaching and he is optimistic for both.

I have been thinking about this comment and it’s probably one of the best things I could hear my husband say. This is why it’s such a big deal. I’ve been sick for a month and a half with debilitating morning sickness, often telling him things like, “My stomach is going to frown all over the sidewalk!” Even though there’s nothing he can do to relieve my illness, I somehow feel the need to explain every little uncomfortable detail. (Not the ideal wife behavior). I’ve been working about 1 day a week and lying in bed the other days. I do nothing, because I feel like I can’t do anything. Our weekends are spent more like house arrest. Dinner production has slowed to maybe once or twice a week. And the flat looks like tornado aftermath.

He, on the other hand, works hard every day and comes home and does the dishes that I’ve dirtied and annoyingly piled high in the sink. He has always either truly felt sympathy for me, or pretended like it, this ENTIRE time, which is all I could ask for. And after all this, he is a happy man. I’m clearly getting the better deal here.

Way better than winning the lottery.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Should I be feeling guilt that I'm now craving a baked potato with cheese whiz???

Adam and Sariah said...

That is great that you are putting your feet up. I hate to say it, but the scene that you described going on inside your flat will probably be very familiar once the baby comes too. So, it is good that you are both happy with it now...that is a good sign for the future. :) Take care though, and I hope you feel better soon.

Aubrey said...

Oh Julie, I totally understand. I hope you start feeling better soon. And it looks like we're both voted to have girls at this point...we'll see if those ancient Chinese ladies are right or not. :) I think we're both lucky wives and I feel lucky to have you as family now.

R A C H A E L said...

What a great hubby you have. I really think that a husband taking care of a newly pregnant sick wife is like, a badge of honor for them, or something. Damon (my hubby who interestingly enough in also starting his MBA this fall)read this and said, "There is nothing that will make you feel more happy than taking care of your family." Simon sounds like a winner. Hope the nausea passes soon.

shaner5 said...

You, Julie, married the son of Steve. Way more than hair and eye color are genetic. Simon does seem to have his dad's best "features." You are blessed to have each other...you both lucked out.