Wednesday, March 16, 2011

meet roman : he's new here.


The Story

January 17th. Cold, rainy night.


7.00 PM

I was dressed up, with some girlfriends and having contractions all through dinner. Someone asked me if I wanted to time them. "No, that's silly—these are nothing; happens all the time," I said and carried on eating my beautiful enchilada. Not due for another week. Friend tells me I look comfortably pregnant. Happy I took a cab home.


11.00 PM

Home now and crawling on the floor, complaining to Simon that my back hurts. He advises me to go to bed. Which I do.


1.00 AM

Ow, these braxton hicks are becoming bothersome now. Take a bath, get a drink, walk around. Not convinced.


2.00 AM

"Simon, we're going to have a baby today."


3.00 AM

Shouting commands out to Simon from the bath tub. "Pack him a bottle and extra clothes!" (Mason's day bag).


3.45 AM

Trying to walk down the stairs to the car. Have to break twice and sit down. Simon runs a red light.


3.50 AM

Trying to walk from the car to the lift at the hospital. Not going to happen. Get back in the car. Simon runs to fetch a wheel chair with birthing bag and blanket and pillow around his neck.


4.00 AM

Inside the hospital. Cursing the cold. Loudly. "Why is it so f*ing cold in here?!!" Start sobbing and blubbering about being so cold, turn to see there's a man standing next to me in the lift, acting like nothing outrageous is happening. Smile.


Get in nice, warm pool. Aaaaah. Finally relaxed. Happy, working hard. Pleasant conversation. Sleeping between contractions. Loving the water.


7.20 AM

Time to push already? Wow!


7.45 AM

"He's coming! I feel his head!" Baby born right into my arms. Lift him out of the water and onto my chest. He squeaks, squirmy, wet, and perfect. He's hugged by his mum and dad. roman is here.


Surprised at how much he looks like Mason. Keep calling him Mason by accident.


7 pounds, 2 ounces.

golden hair, blue eyes



1.00 PM

Sitting with my new baby, can't help but think about Mason. I miss him. I wish he was here to be part of this ….but not really because he'd be swinging from IV's and throwing syringes. They bring me a tray of bland potatoes, foamy "tang" and a pile resembling cole-slaw, just asking for a joke on British cuisine. Smile.


7.00 PM

The staff tell me their printer is broken so they can't give me my discharge paper and I'll have to stay the night here alone. I tell them I'm checking myself out and start walking out the door with baby. They scramble to get me a discharge paper and we go home as a family of four. Smile.



8 comments:

nikki said...

Julie, he's gorgeous. I love the story and glad he arrived happily and safe. I can understand the missing Mason part. When I was in the hospital after Grant was born, I was missing John so much and wanting to hold them both in my arms. Hope all has been well the past 2 months.

Amber Bushnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

What a beautiful story. You really trusted and worked with your body. I must tell you I wouldn't have had the birth I did with Noah if it weren't for your gentle persuasion. :) Thank you doesn't even express how grateful I am.

Camas said...

I think it's so great you were able to do a water birth with Roman! Glad you're all happy & healthy.

Scott and Elly said...

Congrats guys! He is beautiful. And I love the story:)

sarah marie. said...

oh my gosh he's beautiful! and i am dying that you named him roman. that is the only name so far that brian and i have agreed on if we have a boy!

shaner5 said...

Thanks for sharing the play by play. Sorry about the cold hospital, but sounds like the overall was great. A beautiful family has expanded.

Lindsey said...

love the story!!